HONOLULU – After extensive tests and observations, an ensemble of veterinarians were not able to determine the specific cause of the deaths of about 13 wild horses from Waipio Valley on Hawaii Island that occurred during June and July 2018. It was noted that infectious diseases were not the cause of the deaths and...Continue reading
KONA, Hawaii — Historic, torrential April rains on the island of Kauai wiped out much of Hawaii’s taro crops — the main ingredient in poi and a staple carb of the island diet. The next month, one of the state’s most active volcanoes spewed ash and lava throughout the eastern end of the Big...Continue reading
This class is complimentary and sponsored by SiteOne Landscape Supply This 3 hour class is designed to give the attendee the knowledge on how to quickly diagnose electrical problems in irrigations systems. 3 LICT CEU’s Thursday August 30, 2018 4:30pm to 7:30pm SiteOne Landscape Supply Maui 215 South Wakea Avenue, Kahului Maui Food and...Continue reading
This once-fading island industry is coming to life again thanks to local tastes and strong cultural demand. By Natanya Friedheim David Wong is vegan, but he admits to occasionally tasting pork from the roughly 1,000 hogs he raises on his piggery in Waianae. A bout with cancer transformed the way Wong thinks about the...Continue reading
Visitors flock to the Hawaiian Islands for sun-soaked holidays filled with silky beaches, turquoise water, lush green hillsides — and naked palm trees missing their leafy crowns? That possibility has state officials worried because Hawaii’s iconic swaying palm trees are under attack. Their nemesis is the latest in a long line of invasive species...Continue reading
She’s baaack, and it’s not good news for science literacy, farmers and food-minded Hawaiians. I’m referring to Vandana Shiva, the Indian anti-GMO crusader who kicked off a five-day blitz through Hawaii with a talk-and-music fest at the Capitol Building on Wednesday. It’s a grand tour, marked by private fund-raising pitches to wealthy locals and...Continue reading
WAILUKU >> Coffee growers on Maui are bracing for a destructive beetle to eventually make its way to the island. The coffee berry borer has been wreaking havoc on the Big Island for years. The pest made its way to Oahu in December. “I’ve been a farmer forever, and I know the reality of...Continue reading
Hawaii has identified its first outbreak of a deadly pig virus that emerged in the continental United States last year, confounding officials who are uncertain how the disease arrived over thousands of miles of ocean. The state confirmed Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv) on a farm on Oahu, the most populous Hawaiian island, on...Continue reading
KAPAA — If you want a pumpkin, Kauai has them. Grows them, even. Plenty, too, despite the whacky weather. “People didn’t know we could grow pumpkins,” said Earl Kashiwagi, owner and operator of Esaki’s Produce. He delivered 4,500 pounds of pumpkins to the Kauai Fall Festival on Sunday and still has more. Harry Yamamoto,...Continue reading
Next Tuesday, voters statewide will face five constitutional amendments, two of which relate to agriculture. Get to know what these amendment questions mean before heading to the polls so you can choose either Yes or No, since a blank vote counts as a No. Here’s what you need to know about Amendment 2, which...Continue reading
The 23rd annual Pumpkin Patch Festival at Hawaii Preparatory Academy’s upper campus, sponsored by the school’s Ohana Association and Dr. Joan Greco, is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. This year, the family festival in Waimea will feature a pumpkin patch with locally grown pumpkins and a new $20 wristband for keiki. The...Continue reading
Ahh, October—time for pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin mochi and Hawai‘i-grown pumpkins. Aloun Farms, which celebrates its 10th year of educational tours this year, hosts an average of 15,000 students at its annual pumpkin patch. Event coordinator Michael Moefu says the student tours run Tuesdays through Fridays. “They learn a little bit more about agriculture,...Continue reading
It’s been one tough year to raise pumpkins on Kohala Mountain. The crop has been hit with the triple whammy of a mouse plague, cut worms and a tropical storm that stressed the plants so much they dropped their flowers. None of this has deterred the Kohala Mountain Farm Pumpkin Patch from opening for...Continue reading
SUGARCANE: The 2014 production of sugarcane in Hawaii is forecast at 1.43 million tons, up 2 percent from the previous year, but unchanged from the August forecast. Harvested acreage is estimated at 19.0 thousand acres, up 7 percent from last year. Yield is forecast at 75.0 tons per acre. The 2014 U.S. production of...Continue reading
A federal judge struck down a new law regulating the use of pesticides and growth of genetically modified organisms by large-scale commercial agricultural companies on Kauai. U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Kurren decided Ordinance 960 (formerly Bill 2491) is invalid and preempted by state law. The law was scheduled to go into effect Aug. 16...Continue reading
- Business Report: How the University of Hawaii impacts the State - Hawaii News NowBusiness Report: How the University of Hawaii impacts the State Hawaii News NowThe legislature this month has proposed devastating cuts to UH funding, leading the usually mild-mannered UH President David Lassner to describe the ...
- Trump EPA Back in Court to Defend Pesticide Toxic to Kids - Natural Resources Defense CouncilTrump EPA Back in Court to Defend Pesticide Toxic to Kids Natural Resources Defense CouncilNext week the Trump Administration will show us, once again, how far it will go to protect polluters at the expense of children's health.
- Tulsi Gabbard Comes to San Francisco - Dissident VoiceTulsi Gabbard Comes to San Francisco Dissident VoiceI'm running for president to be able to bring about this sea change in our foreign policy that is so necessary for us and for the world. — Tulsi Gabbard.
- Tulsi Gabbard Challenges US Exceptionalism In San Francisco Speech - Mintpress NewsTulsi Gabbard Challenges US Exceptionalism In San Francisco Speech Mintpress NewsTulsi Gabbard is challenging the core policy of US exceptionalism and identifying who benefits and “who pays the price” for those policies.
- Two Hilo-side Big Island churches hit the century mark - Hawaii Catholic HeraldTwo Hilo-side Big Island churches hit the century mark Hawaii Catholic HeraldThe Spanish baroque facade of St. Joseph Church in Hilo makes it unique among Hawaii churches. (Photo courtesy of St. Joseph Church, Hilo). By Patrick ...
- Talk story: The desert speaks - Hawaii Catholic HeraldTalk story: The desert speaks Hawaii Catholic Herald“We can't allow more tragedies like these. They cannot be repeated … Innocents have died because we have done everything to keep them from finding a ...
- Nation and World briefs for March 20 - Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)Nation and World briefs for March 20 Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)NYC official: Kushner firm flouted rules, endangered tenants. NEW YORK — A New York City councilman accused the Kushner family real estate company on ...
- Biochar Fuel Market 2019 Global Analysis, Share, Trend ,Opportunities And Forecast To 2024 - Market Talk NewsBiochar Fuel Market 2019 Global Analysis, Share, Trend ,Opportunities And Forecast To 2024 Market Talk NewsWorld Biochar Fuel Market. Executive Summary. Biochar Fuel market research report provides the newest industry data and industry future trends, allowing you ...
- Hawaii Lawmakers Approve Marijuana Decriminalization Bill In Joint Committee Hearing - Marijuana MomentHawaii Lawmakers Approve Marijuana Decriminalization Bill In Joint Committee Hearing Marijuana MomentTwo Hawaii Senate committees approved a bill to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana in a joint hearing on Tuesday. The vote comes ...
- UH Law School to Hold Invasive Species & Biosecurity Forum - Big Island NowUH Law School to Hold Invasive Species & Biosecurity Forum Big Island NowWilliam S. Richardson School of Law at UH Mānoa invites the community to a free forum, "Invasive Species and Biosecurity in Hawaiʻi," on Saturday, March 23.
- New Head of Earthjustice's Hawai'i Office Takes on Environmental Challenges - EarthjusticeNew Head of Earthjustice's Hawai'i Office Takes on Environmental Challenges EarthjusticeThis article originally appeared in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser as “Name in the News: Isaac Moriwake.” The Hawaii office of Earthjustice, the environmental law ...
- Nebraska Floods: 74 Cities, 65 Counties Declare A State of Emergency - HawaiipublicradioNebraska Floods: 74 Cities, 65 Counties Declare A State of Emergency HawaiipublicradioUpdated at 3:20 p.m. ET As floodwaters begin to recede, Vice President Pence announced in a tweet that he would visit Nebraska on Tuesday to take stock of.
- Colorado Lawmakers Seek Exploration of Blockchain Use in Agriculture - CoinDeskColorado Lawmakers Seek Exploration of Blockchain Use in Agriculture CoinDeskLawmakers in the U.S. state of Colorado are eyeing a role for blockchain technology in the agricultural industry. Four representatives and senators from the state ...
- Taste of the Hawaiian Range to be held in September - Hawaii 24/7Taste of the Hawaiian Range to be held in September Hawaii 24/7MEDIA RELEASE. Ken Jackson with the Westin Hapuna at Taste of the Hawaiian Range. WAIMEA, HAWAI'I ISLAND—The all-day Taste of the Hawaiian Range ...
- Speeding toward irrevocable climate chaos - UH System Current NewsSpeeding toward irrevocable climate chaos UH System Current NewsChip Fletcher in the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology says the time has passed to just talk about the importance of fighting climate change.
- Oahu forum on invasive species and biosecurity in Hawaii - Hawaii 24/7Oahu forum on invasive species and biosecurity in Hawaii Hawaii 24/7MEDIA RELEASE. New Tools & Opportunities For Public Participation. (Honolulu) – As an island state, Hawai'i is uniquely impacted by the threat of invasive ...
- Proposed Change in Import Status of Water Buffalo - Big Island NowProposed Change in Import Status of Water Buffalo Big Island NowThe Hawai'i Board of Agriculture preliminarily approved a change in the list placement of Water Buffalo, Bubalus bubalis, from the List of Restricted Animals.
- Hawaii Delegation Presses USDA On Disaster Relief - Big Island Video NewsHawaii Delegation Presses USDA On Disaster Relief Big Island Video NewsWASHINGTON D.C. - The Democrats from Hawaiʻi sent a letter to Secretary Perdue, asking that USDA continue working to provide much needed relief to ...
- USDA Receives Hemp Legalization Feedback From States And Stakeholders - Marijuana MomentUSDA Receives Hemp Legalization Feedback From States And Stakeholders Marijuana MomentOn Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) gave stakeholders in the nation's hemp economy an opportunity to provide input on rules to legally ...
- Stopping Hawaii's Millennial Brain Drain Is Complicated - Honolulu Civil BeatStopping Hawaii's Millennial Brain Drain Is Complicated Honolulu Civil BeatIt's not just housing inventory that is a determining factor. It's much, much more.
- Customer Service Manager - Gate Gourmet - Honolulu, HIEnsures that Customs requirements, GGI Bonded policy and local Agriculture (compliance agreement) are implemented....From Gate Gourmet - Wed, 13 Mar 2019 02:50:58 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Lecturer, CC - University of Hawaii - Lihue, HIUnder general supervision, to conduct courses in Agriculture. Lecturer, CC (Culinary Arts)....From University of Hawaii - Tue, 12 Mar 2019 09:52:18 GMT - View all Lihue, HI jobs
- Customer Service Manager - Gate Group - Honolulu, HIEnsures that Customs requirements, GGI Bonded policy and local Agriculture (compliance agreement) are implemented....From Indeed - Thu, 07 Mar 2019 20:11:22 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Farm Equipment Mechanic/Machinery Journeyman - Hartung Brothers, Inc - Kekaha, HIHartung Brothers offers agriculture contracts for vegetables and seed corn to both farmers and processors. As an agri-business company engaged in agriculture,...From Hartung Brothers, Inc - Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:20:10 GMT - View all Kekaha, HI jobs
- Director of Mobility Innovation - Elemental Excelerator - Honolulu, HIMobility, energy, water, agriculture, and beyond. About Elemental Excelerator*....From Indeed - Wed, 27 Feb 2019 03:19:04 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Director of Water Innovation - Elemental Excelerator - Honolulu, HIWater, energy, agriculture, mobility, and beyond. About Elemental Excelerator*....From Indeed - Wed, 27 Feb 2019 03:16:51 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Operations Lead - Parent Seed - Hartung Brothers, Inc - Kunia, HIHartung Brothers offers agriculture contracts for vegetables and seed corn to both farmers and processors. Hartung Brothers Incorporated is a family owned and...From Hartung Brothers, Inc - Tue, 26 Feb 2019 11:17:57 GMT - View all Kunia, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor in Nutritional Biochemistry - University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HIC of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences. Assistant Professor in Nutritional Biochemistry....From University of Hawaii - Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:40:06 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Jr/Asst Extension Agent - University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HIBachelor's degree from a college or university of recognized standing with major work in youth development, family development, parks and recreation...From University of Hawaii - Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:25:48 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor (Aerospace) - University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HIResearch & Education (C-MORE), Hawaii Natural Energy Institute (HNEI), College of Social Sciences, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR),...From University of Hawaii - Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:03:24 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor of Applied Economics for Healthy Ecosystems - University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HIC of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Natural Resources and Environmental Management. Strong interest in agriculture, natural resource and...From University of Hawaii - Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:01:54 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor - University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HIC of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences. November 26, 2018....From University of Hawaii - Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:01:26 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs