HONOLULU – After extensive tests and observations, an ensemble of veterinarians were not able to determine the specific cause of the deaths of about 13 wild horses from Waipio Valley on Hawaii Island that occurred during June and July 2018. It was noted that infectious diseases were not the cause of the deaths and...Continue reading
KONA, Hawaii — Historic, torrential April rains on the island of Kauai wiped out much of Hawaii’s taro crops — the main ingredient in poi and a staple carb of the island diet. The next month, one of the state’s most active volcanoes spewed ash and lava throughout the eastern end of the Big...Continue reading
This class is complimentary and sponsored by SiteOne Landscape Supply This 3 hour class is designed to give the attendee the knowledge on how to quickly diagnose electrical problems in irrigations systems. 3 LICT CEU’s Thursday August 30, 2018 4:30pm to 7:30pm SiteOne Landscape Supply Maui 215 South Wakea Avenue, Kahului Maui Food and...Continue reading
This once-fading island industry is coming to life again thanks to local tastes and strong cultural demand. By Natanya Friedheim David Wong is vegan, but he admits to occasionally tasting pork from the roughly 1,000 hogs he raises on his piggery in Waianae. A bout with cancer transformed the way Wong thinks about the...Continue reading
Visitors flock to the Hawaiian Islands for sun-soaked holidays filled with silky beaches, turquoise water, lush green hillsides — and naked palm trees missing their leafy crowns? That possibility has state officials worried because Hawaii’s iconic swaying palm trees are under attack. Their nemesis is the latest in a long line of invasive species...Continue reading
She’s baaack, and it’s not good news for science literacy, farmers and food-minded Hawaiians. I’m referring to Vandana Shiva, the Indian anti-GMO crusader who kicked off a five-day blitz through Hawaii with a talk-and-music fest at the Capitol Building on Wednesday. It’s a grand tour, marked by private fund-raising pitches to wealthy locals and...Continue reading
WAILUKU >> Coffee growers on Maui are bracing for a destructive beetle to eventually make its way to the island. The coffee berry borer has been wreaking havoc on the Big Island for years. The pest made its way to Oahu in December. “I’ve been a farmer forever, and I know the reality of...Continue reading
Hawaii has identified its first outbreak of a deadly pig virus that emerged in the continental United States last year, confounding officials who are uncertain how the disease arrived over thousands of miles of ocean. The state confirmed Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv) on a farm on Oahu, the most populous Hawaiian island, on...Continue reading
KAPAA — If you want a pumpkin, Kauai has them. Grows them, even. Plenty, too, despite the whacky weather. “People didn’t know we could grow pumpkins,” said Earl Kashiwagi, owner and operator of Esaki’s Produce. He delivered 4,500 pounds of pumpkins to the Kauai Fall Festival on Sunday and still has more. Harry Yamamoto,...Continue reading
Next Tuesday, voters statewide will face five constitutional amendments, two of which relate to agriculture. Get to know what these amendment questions mean before heading to the polls so you can choose either Yes or No, since a blank vote counts as a No. Here’s what you need to know about Amendment 2, which...Continue reading
The 23rd annual Pumpkin Patch Festival at Hawaii Preparatory Academy’s upper campus, sponsored by the school’s Ohana Association and Dr. Joan Greco, is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. This year, the family festival in Waimea will feature a pumpkin patch with locally grown pumpkins and a new $20 wristband for keiki. The...Continue reading
Ahh, October—time for pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin mochi and Hawai‘i-grown pumpkins. Aloun Farms, which celebrates its 10th year of educational tours this year, hosts an average of 15,000 students at its annual pumpkin patch. Event coordinator Michael Moefu says the student tours run Tuesdays through Fridays. “They learn a little bit more about agriculture,...Continue reading
It’s been one tough year to raise pumpkins on Kohala Mountain. The crop has been hit with the triple whammy of a mouse plague, cut worms and a tropical storm that stressed the plants so much they dropped their flowers. None of this has deterred the Kohala Mountain Farm Pumpkin Patch from opening for...Continue reading
SUGARCANE: The 2014 production of sugarcane in Hawaii is forecast at 1.43 million tons, up 2 percent from the previous year, but unchanged from the August forecast. Harvested acreage is estimated at 19.0 thousand acres, up 7 percent from last year. Yield is forecast at 75.0 tons per acre. The 2014 U.S. production of...Continue reading
A federal judge struck down a new law regulating the use of pesticides and growth of genetically modified organisms by large-scale commercial agricultural companies on Kauai. U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Kurren decided Ordinance 960 (formerly Bill 2491) is invalid and preempted by state law. The law was scheduled to go into effect Aug. 16...Continue reading
- Bank Of Hawaii Has Raised Live Nation Entertainment (LYV) Holding; Deere & Co (DE)'s Sentiment Is 0.93 - D MinuteBank Of Hawaii Has Raised Live Nation Entertainment (LYV) Holding; Deere & Co (DE)'s Sentiment Is 0.93 D MinuteBank Of Hawaii increased Live Nation Entertainment Inc (LYV) stake by 91.26% reported in 2018Q3 SEC filing. Bank Of Hawaii acquired 6265 shares as Live ...
- A Boost for Farmers Who Aren’t Old and White - The AtlanticA Boost for Farmers Who Aren’t Old and White The AtlanticThe average American farmer, according to the most recent United States Department of Agriculture data, is white, male, and 58 years old. Just 8 percent of ...
- Tdam Usa Trimmed Position in Bank Hawaii (BOH) by $440,622; Flowserve (FLS) Stock Value Declined While Caledonia Investments Plc Decreased Its Position by $37.52 Million - D MinuteTdam Usa Trimmed Position in Bank Hawaii (BOH) by $440,622; Flowserve (FLS) Stock Value Declined While Caledonia Investments Plc Decreased Its Position by $37.52 Million D MinuteTdam Usa Inc decreased its stake in Bank Hawaii Corp (BOH) by 23.57% based on its latest 2018Q3 regulatory filing with the SEC. Tdam Usa Inc sold 5649 ...
- Eastside overdevelopment: Hokua Place - Thegardenisland.comEastside overdevelopment: Hokua Place Thegardenisland.comThe threat of yet more Kapaa development further diminishes our quality of life. Hokua Place will have 769 residential units on 97 acres, at a price range beyond ...
- Bank Of Hawaii (BOH) Holder Fairview Capital Investment Management Lowered Its Holding as Valuation Declined; Strs Ohio Holding In Celgene (CELG) Was Raised - The FinExaminerBank Of Hawaii (BOH) Holder Fairview Capital Investment Management Lowered Its Holding as Valuation Declined; Strs Ohio Holding In Celgene (CELG) Was Raised The FinExaminerFairview Capital Investment Management Llc decreased its stake in Bank Of Hawaii (BOH) by 62.86% based on its latest 2018Q3 regulatory filing with the SEC.
- STUDY: Climate Change Will Cause Higher Risk of Hawai'i Island Wildfires - Big Island NowSTUDY: Climate Change Will Cause Higher Risk of Hawai'i Island Wildfires Big Island NowBased on changes in rainfall and temperature due to climate change, the annual risk of wildfire could increase up to 375% for parts of Hawai'i Island.
- Finalists announced for the second annual aio Media Hawaiʻi Lodging & Tourism Awards - Hawaiimagazine.comFinalists announced for the second annual aio Media Hawaiʻi Lodging & Tourism Awards Hawaiimagazine.comThe aio Media Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Awards aim to publicly recognize and reward excellence within the industry, reinforce the value of the tourism industry, ...
- FULL VIDEO: Hawaii Farmers Sit Down With Ag Secretary Perdue - Big Island Video NewsFULL VIDEO: Hawaii Farmers Sit Down With Ag Secretary Perdue Big Island Video NewsKEAʻAU, Hawaiʻi - Papaya farmers, orchid growers, ranchers, and anthurium exporters had the chance to communicate their needs directly to the top ...
- Scientists Are Fighting For The Stricken Pickle Against This Tricky Disease - HawaiipublicradioScientists Are Fighting For The Stricken Pickle Against This Tricky Disease HawaiipublicradioThe pickle is in peril. Each summer since the mid 2000s, Florida winds carry downy mildew to cucumber fields north. By summer's end, the disease.
- Passenger tries to smuggle 70 live birds in hair rollers at JFK airport - Hawaii News NowPassenger tries to smuggle 70 live birds in hair rollers at JFK airport Hawaii News NowA report stated that finches are commonly used for gambling purposes.
- Retired West Side High School teacher receives national award - Idaho State JournalRetired West Side High School teacher receives national award Idaho State JournalJim Summers, retired Agriculture Teacher and FFA Advisor from West Side High School, was recently awarded the National Association of Agricultural ...
- Premium Kona Coffee From Hawaii Wins International Cupping Competition - VendingMarketWatchPremium Kona Coffee From Hawaii Wins International Cupping Competition VendingMarketWatchPremium Hawaiian Kona coffee Buddha's Sanctuary LLC, with five farm single estate high mountain brands, earned the highest honors at the recent Internati...
- Congress approves $400 billion for farmers, forests, poor - Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)Congress approves $400 billion for farmers, forests, poor Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)In this September 2018 photo provided by Clarenda "Cee" Stanley-Anderson, Stanley-Anderson and her husband, Malcolm Anderson Sr., pose for pictures of ...
- Ag tech and resource management offer opportunities for Hawaii-Israel collaboration - West Hawaii TodayAg tech and resource management offer opportunities for Hawaii-Israel collaboration West Hawaii TodayEitan Weiss, deputy chief of mission at the Consulate General of Israel in Los Angeles, spoke this week with Gov. David Ige about opportunities for Hawaii-Israel ...
- Congress Approves a Bill to Make CBD Legal at Federal Level - ConsumerReports.orgCongress Approves a Bill to Make CBD Legal at Federal Level ConsumerReports.orgThe new farm bill will make it easier for farmers across the country to grow hemp. But that doesn't mean that CBD will suddenly be legal everywhere.
- VIDEO: On Hawaii Island, Ag Secretary Perdue Comments On 2019 Farm Bill - Big Island Video NewsVIDEO: On Hawaii Island, Ag Secretary Perdue Comments On 2019 Farm Bill Big Island Video NewsKOHALA COAST, Hawaiʻi - Sec. Perdue commended Congress for "bringing the Farm Bill across the finish line" and said he is encouraging President Trump to ...
- Dr. Kevin Hoffman to Join Hawai'i Dept. of Agriculture - Maui NowDr. Kevin Hoffman to Join Hawai'i Dept. of Agriculture Maui NowThe Hawai'i Department of Agriculture (HDOA) announced the selection of Kevin Michael Hoffman, Ph.D. as the administrator for the Plant Industry Division and ...
- Costs From Invasive Species Already in Millions, Expected to Grow - HawaiipublicradioCosts From Invasive Species Already in Millions, Expected to Grow HawaiipublicradioHawaii is already spending tens of millions of dollars per year dealing with the effects of invasive species and without coordinated action that number.
- Biosecurity talk headlines first official day of Western Governors meeting - West Hawaii TodayBiosecurity talk headlines first official day of Western Governors meeting West Hawaii TodayKOHALA COAST — Governors from throughout the nation's west on Tuesday came together for a talk on biosecurity as well as the potential for interstate ...
- Farm bill addresses several Hawaii agricultural priorities - Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)Farm bill addresses several Hawaii agricultural priorities Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)The farm bill passed by the U.S. Senate on Tuesday included several considerations for Hawaii farmers. The bipartisan bill, which sets policy and funding levels ...
- Academic Support (Educational Sp) - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HISome knowledgeable about Hawaii’s diversified agriculture industry. Possession of a baccalaureate degree in agriculture or related field and 0 year(s) of...From University of Hawaii - Fri, 14 Dec 2018 05:09:18 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Research Support (Research Associate, Senior) - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Agricultural Diagnostic Service Center UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin February 2019 or soon thereafter. Duties and Responsibilities The Agricultural Diagnostic Service Center (ADSC) provides analytical & diagnostic...From University of Hawaii - Fri, 14 Dec 2018 05:09:17 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Graduate Assistant - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin January 2019, continuation dependent upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Duties and Responsibilities Develop low cost/low power...From University of Hawaii - Thu, 13 Dec 2018 22:14:32 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Instructor (Fashion Design and Merchandising) - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo Begin August 1, 2019, to ensure full consideration, applications should be submitted by January 18, 2019. Duties and Responsibilities Teach 18 credit hour...From University of Hawaii - Wed, 12 Dec 2018 04:08:12 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Academic Support (Community Mentor Coach - Career Link) - UH Maui College - Honolulu, HIFunctional knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in business, tourism, security, fashion, agriculture demonstrated by knowledge, understanding and...From University of Hawaii - Tue, 11 Dec 2018 03:50:52 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Water Service Technician - Seymour Resources Hawaii - Kauai, HIIn this position one will be introduced to new field related technologies and types of agriculture. The position of a Water System Technician is a leadership... $18 - $21 an hourFrom Seymour Resources Hawaii - Fri, 07 Dec 2018 06:08:45 GMT - View all Kauai, HI jobs
- Urban Agricultural Specialist Assistant - The Institute for Human Services - Honolulu, HIAssociate or Bachelors in agriculture and/or two years of agricultural farming Aquaculture/Aquaponics/Hydroponics experience.... $17 an hourFrom Indeed - Tue, 04 Dec 2018 01:51:37 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Institutional Support (Admin & Fiscal Support Sp) - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition Food and Animal Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin approximately January 2019 or soon thereafter, renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Duties and Responsibilities...From University of Hawaii - Fri, 30 Nov 2018 21:50:19 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Production Manager (191442-5) - ALTRES - Kunia, HIBachelor's degree in agriculture, manufacturing, or other related fields. Do you have strong leadership and management skills?...From Indeed - Wed, 28 Nov 2018 01:26:09 GMT - View all Kunia, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin August 1, 2019. To ensure full consideration, applications should be submitted by January 15, 2019. Duties and Responsibilities Teach undergraduate...From University of Hawaii - Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:50:22 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Lecturer CC, Sustainable Agriculture - Windward Community College - Honolulu, HI(a) Master’s in agriculture, botany, tropical plant and soil sciences, biological engineering, molecular biosciences and bioengineering, natural resources,...From University of Hawaii - Thu, 22 Nov 2018 03:50:26 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor of Applied Economics for Healthy Ecosystems - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Natural Resources and Environmental Management UH Manoa - Honolulu, HIStrong interest in agriculture, natural resource and environmental management issues in Hawaii and the Pacific Region....From University of Hawaii - Wed, 21 Nov 2018 03:50:40 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs