HONOLULU – After extensive tests and observations, an ensemble of veterinarians were not able to determine the specific cause of the deaths of about 13 wild horses from Waipio Valley on Hawaii Island that occurred during June and July 2018. It was noted that infectious diseases were not the cause of the deaths and...Continue reading
KONA, Hawaii — Historic, torrential April rains on the island of Kauai wiped out much of Hawaii’s taro crops — the main ingredient in poi and a staple carb of the island diet. The next month, one of the state’s most active volcanoes spewed ash and lava throughout the eastern end of the Big...Continue reading
This class is complimentary and sponsored by SiteOne Landscape Supply This 3 hour class is designed to give the attendee the knowledge on how to quickly diagnose electrical problems in irrigations systems. 3 LICT CEU’s Thursday August 30, 2018 4:30pm to 7:30pm SiteOne Landscape Supply Maui 215 South Wakea Avenue, Kahului Maui Food and...Continue reading
This once-fading island industry is coming to life again thanks to local tastes and strong cultural demand. By Natanya Friedheim David Wong is vegan, but he admits to occasionally tasting pork from the roughly 1,000 hogs he raises on his piggery in Waianae. A bout with cancer transformed the way Wong thinks about the...Continue reading
Visitors flock to the Hawaiian Islands for sun-soaked holidays filled with silky beaches, turquoise water, lush green hillsides — and naked palm trees missing their leafy crowns? That possibility has state officials worried because Hawaii’s iconic swaying palm trees are under attack. Their nemesis is the latest in a long line of invasive species...Continue reading
She’s baaack, and it’s not good news for science literacy, farmers and food-minded Hawaiians. I’m referring to Vandana Shiva, the Indian anti-GMO crusader who kicked off a five-day blitz through Hawaii with a talk-and-music fest at the Capitol Building on Wednesday. It’s a grand tour, marked by private fund-raising pitches to wealthy locals and...Continue reading
WAILUKU >> Coffee growers on Maui are bracing for a destructive beetle to eventually make its way to the island. The coffee berry borer has been wreaking havoc on the Big Island for years. The pest made its way to Oahu in December. “I’ve been a farmer forever, and I know the reality of...Continue reading
Hawaii has identified its first outbreak of a deadly pig virus that emerged in the continental United States last year, confounding officials who are uncertain how the disease arrived over thousands of miles of ocean. The state confirmed Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv) on a farm on Oahu, the most populous Hawaiian island, on...Continue reading
KAPAA — If you want a pumpkin, Kauai has them. Grows them, even. Plenty, too, despite the whacky weather. “People didn’t know we could grow pumpkins,” said Earl Kashiwagi, owner and operator of Esaki’s Produce. He delivered 4,500 pounds of pumpkins to the Kauai Fall Festival on Sunday and still has more. Harry Yamamoto,...Continue reading
Next Tuesday, voters statewide will face five constitutional amendments, two of which relate to agriculture. Get to know what these amendment questions mean before heading to the polls so you can choose either Yes or No, since a blank vote counts as a No. Here’s what you need to know about Amendment 2, which...Continue reading
The 23rd annual Pumpkin Patch Festival at Hawaii Preparatory Academy’s upper campus, sponsored by the school’s Ohana Association and Dr. Joan Greco, is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. This year, the family festival in Waimea will feature a pumpkin patch with locally grown pumpkins and a new $20 wristband for keiki. The...Continue reading
Ahh, October—time for pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin mochi and Hawai‘i-grown pumpkins. Aloun Farms, which celebrates its 10th year of educational tours this year, hosts an average of 15,000 students at its annual pumpkin patch. Event coordinator Michael Moefu says the student tours run Tuesdays through Fridays. “They learn a little bit more about agriculture,...Continue reading
It’s been one tough year to raise pumpkins on Kohala Mountain. The crop has been hit with the triple whammy of a mouse plague, cut worms and a tropical storm that stressed the plants so much they dropped their flowers. None of this has deterred the Kohala Mountain Farm Pumpkin Patch from opening for...Continue reading
SUGARCANE: The 2014 production of sugarcane in Hawaii is forecast at 1.43 million tons, up 2 percent from the previous year, but unchanged from the August forecast. Harvested acreage is estimated at 19.0 thousand acres, up 7 percent from last year. Yield is forecast at 75.0 tons per acre. The 2014 U.S. production of...Continue reading
A federal judge struck down a new law regulating the use of pesticides and growth of genetically modified organisms by large-scale commercial agricultural companies on Kauai. U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Kurren decided Ordinance 960 (formerly Bill 2491) is invalid and preempted by state law. The law was scheduled to go into effect Aug. 16...Continue reading
- The Latest News and Data About Biodiesel Production - Biodiesel MagazineThe Latest News and Data About Biodiesel Production Biodiesel MagazinePacific Biodiesel Technologies and its founders Bob and Kelly King announced April 22 the development of Maui's first state-licensed industrial hemp farm, ...
- We still need breakthroughs to clean the electricity grid - MIT Technology ReviewWe still need breakthroughs to clean the electricity grid MIT Technology ReviewErnie Moniz's energy think tank finds California could achieve its ambitious emissions targets, but it's going to take steep investments, real innovation and a lot of ...
- Global Biochar Market | Size, Trends and Forecast (2019-2024). - Healthcare IndustryGlobal Biochar Market | Size, Trends and Forecast (2019-2024). Healthcare IndustryThe “Global Biochar Market” divides the industry on the basis of the regions by growth, product types, and applications, over the forecast period (2019-2024) of ...
- LETTERS for the April 25 issue - LahainaNews.com | News, Information, Lahaina and Western Maui, Hawaii - Lahaina NewsLETTERS for the April 25 issue - LahainaNews.com | News, Information, Lahaina and Western Maui, Hawaii Lahaina NewsHelp the planet by changing your diet Earth Day was April 22, marking a half-century of promoting environmental awarenesss and calling for...
- Fireflies, National Teacher of the Year, scary doll: News from around our 50 states - USA TODAYFireflies, National Teacher of the Year, scary doll: News from around our 50 states USA TODAYLawmaker seeks fix for frivolously calling cops on people of color in Oregon, minor-league pitcher brings tiny home to Iowa, and more B9336363003Z.1.
- Philadelphia, Most Surrounding Counties Earn ‘F’ For Heavily-Polluted Air - CBS PhillyPhiladelphia, Most Surrounding Counties Earn ‘F’ For Heavily-Polluted Air CBS PhillyPHILADELPHIA (CBS/CNN) — The American Lung Association is issuing a dire warning. More and more Americans are breathing polluted air. The group just ...
- Ichthus Unlimited building closed-cycle bluefin tuna operation in California and Mexico - SeafoodSourceIchthus Unlimited building closed-cycle bluefin tuna operation in California and Mexico SeafoodSourceAlejandro Buentello and Ichthus Unlimited have launched a five-year project valued at USD 50 million (EUR 44.4 million).
- Merrie Monarch Travelers Reminded Of Rapid Ohia Death Quarantine - Big Island Video NewsMerrie Monarch Travelers Reminded Of Rapid Ohia Death Quarantine Big Island Video NewsHAWAIʻI ISLAND - Movement of ʻōhiʻa on Hawaiʻi Island is restricted due to the devastating Ceratocystis fungal disease known to cause Rapid ʻŌhiʻa ...
- Accelerators are helping nonprofits fast-track green tech - GreenBizAccelerators are helping nonprofits fast-track green tech GreenBizInnovative partnerships provide the coaching, capital and connections needed to turn bright ideas into sustainable solutions.
- Federal Court Orders EPA to Justify Use of Chlorpyrifos within 90 Days - Beyond PesticidesFederal Court Orders EPA to Justify Use of Chlorpyrifos within 90 Days Beyond Pesticides(Beyond Pesticides, April 24, 2019) On April 19, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ordered the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to provide ...
- Founders of biodiesel firm unveil their own green new deal: Hemp | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui NewsFounders of biodiesel firm unveil their own green new deal: Hemp | News, Sports, Jobs Maui NewsWAIKAPU — As pioneers in the biodiesel industry on Maui, Bob and Kelly King are used to navigating uncharted territory. Now the founders of Pacific Biodies.
- Mexico open to using bilateral USMCA enforcement tool - PoliticoMexico open to using bilateral USMCA enforcement tool PoliticoAg groups press for Japan deal — Personnel shakeup at the Winder Building.
- Maui's First State-Licensed Industrial Hemp Farm Blessed on Earth Day - Maui NowMaui's First State-Licensed Industrial Hemp Farm Blessed on Earth Day Maui NowIn celebration of Earth Day, Pacific Biodiesel conducted a blessing today at the site of Maui's first state-licensed industrial hemp farm.
- Editor's Choice: Small Business Awards 2019 - Hawaii Business MagazineEditor's Choice: Small Business Awards 2019 Hawaii Business MagazineProfiles of five great local companies that you should know about. WOMEN-OWNED BUSINESS Meli James & Brittany Heyd Co-Owners Mana Up. Photo: Aaron ...
- Spring 2019 commencement schedule – University of Hawaiʻi System News - UH System Current NewsSpring 2019 commencement schedule – University of Hawaiʻi System News UH System Current NewsThe University of Hawaii celebrates at spring commencement ceremonies systemwide.
- Big shifts hit Hawaii's farm landscape - Honolulu Star-AdvertiserBig shifts hit Hawaii's farm landscape Honolulu Star-AdvertiserHawaii lost its last sugar cane plantation in 2016, but the amount of land in farming and number of farms grew during the most recent five-year statewide census ...
- New Ag Census Shows Disparities in Property Taxes by State - DTN The Progressive FarmerNew Ag Census Shows Disparities in Property Taxes by State DTN The Progressive FarmerFarm income might have fallen after the 2012 Ag Census, but new numbers from 2017 show farmers and ranchers collectively paid $2 billion more in property ...
- EPA given 90 days to make decision on chlorpyrifos - Agri-PulseEPA given 90 days to make decision on chlorpyrifos Agri-PulseThe 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has given the Environmental Protection Agency 90 days to decide whether to allow the use of chlorpyrifos. The appeals court ...
- Asia Minute: China's Pig Virus Pressures Pork Prices - HawaiipublicradioAsia Minute: China's Pig Virus Pressures Pork Prices HawaiipublicradioFor people who celebrate Easter this weekend, ham could be on the menu. It's one food item that's likely to see prices move higher in coming months —
- Farm Groups Ask President, Congress for Disaster Relief - AgNet WestFarm Groups Ask President, Congress for Disaster Relief AgNet WestA group of 135 farm organizations and banks that supply seasonal loans to farms and ranches today called on the President and Congress to put aside political ...
- INTERDISCIPLINARY COMMUNITY PLANNER/BIOLOGIST/ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER/PHYSICAL SCIENTIST - US Department of the Navy - Pearl Harbor, HIHave a degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or a related discipline appropriate to this position.... $76,730 - $101,903 a yearFrom usajobs.gov - Wed, 24 Apr 2019 04:13:53 GMT - View all Pearl Harbor, HI jobs
- Fish and WIldlife Biologist - Department of the Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service - Honolulu, HICompleted a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in biological sciences, agriculture,... $76,730 - $99,753 a yearFrom Department of the Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service - Mon, 22 Apr 2019 10:06:32 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Fish and WIldlife Biologist - US Department of the Interior - Honolulu, HICompleted a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in biological sciences, agriculture,... $76,730 - $99,753 a yearFrom usajobs.gov - Mon, 22 Apr 2019 10:02:42 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Field & Production Operations Technician - Corteva Agriscience - Waialua, HIDigital Agriculture experience. Associates degree or higher related to agriculture. Knowledge of production agriculture and production plant operations....From Corteva Agriscience - Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:12:28 GMT - View all Waialua, HI jobs
- Child and Youth Program Food Service Worker - US Department of the Navy - Naval Station Pearl Harbor, HIAgriculture (USDA) Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and all pertaining standards, policies, and regulations.... $29,281 - $34,206 a yearFrom usajobs.gov - Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:53:39 GMT - View all Naval Station Pearl Harbor, HI jobs
- CYP Cook - US Department of the Navy - Pearl Harbor, HIAgriculture (USDA) Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and all pertaining standards, policies, and regulations.... $37,003 - $43,222 a yearFrom usajobs.gov - Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:53:38 GMT - View all Pearl Harbor, HI jobs
- Administrative Assistant - Kualoa Ranch Hawai'i - Kaneohe, HISupports productivity, daily activity, agriculture product sales, and customer relations. The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the...From Indeed - Sat, 30 Mar 2019 03:00:27 GMT - View all Kaneohe, HI jobs
- Diversified Agriculture & Small Livestock Manager - Kualoa - Kaneohe, HIResponsible for the overall planning and execution of all projects, initiatives, and functions of the Kaaawa Agriculture center....From Kualoa - Thu, 28 Mar 2019 01:35:01 GMT - View all Kaneohe, HI jobs
- Jr. or Assistant Extension Agent - University of Hawaii - Lihue, HIThe University of Hawaii-Manoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources is hiring for a Junior/Assistant Extension Agent in Ornamental, Floriculture,...From Indeed - Thu, 28 Mar 2019 01:32:05 GMT - View all Lihue, HI jobs
- SEEKING AIRCRAFT CLEANERS!! - Swissport International Ltd. - Honolulu, HICorrect Handling of International Garbage as required by the Company, Carrier and the Department of Agriculture. SEEKING AIRCRAFT CLEANERS!!-1811078....From Swissport International Ltd. - Sat, 23 Mar 2019 23:22:11 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Administrative Assistant – Diversified Agriculture & Stewardship - Kualoa - Kaneohe, HISupports productivity, daily activity, agriculture product sales, and customer relations. Provides administrative assistance to the Diversified Agriculture and...From Kualoa - Fri, 22 Mar 2019 07:33:45 GMT - View all Kaneohe, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor - University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HIC of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering. Establish an innovative research program that develops and/or applies...From University of Hawaii - Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:51:00 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs