HONOLULU – After extensive tests and observations, an ensemble of veterinarians were not able to determine the specific cause of the deaths of about 13 wild horses from Waipio Valley on Hawaii Island that occurred during June and July 2018. It was noted that infectious diseases were not the cause of the deaths and...Continue reading
KONA, Hawaii — Historic, torrential April rains on the island of Kauai wiped out much of Hawaii’s taro crops — the main ingredient in poi and a staple carb of the island diet. The next month, one of the state’s most active volcanoes spewed ash and lava throughout the eastern end of the Big...Continue reading
This class is complimentary and sponsored by SiteOne Landscape Supply This 3 hour class is designed to give the attendee the knowledge on how to quickly diagnose electrical problems in irrigations systems. 3 LICT CEU’s Thursday August 30, 2018 4:30pm to 7:30pm SiteOne Landscape Supply Maui 215 South Wakea Avenue, Kahului Maui Food and...Continue reading
This once-fading island industry is coming to life again thanks to local tastes and strong cultural demand. By Natanya Friedheim David Wong is vegan, but he admits to occasionally tasting pork from the roughly 1,000 hogs he raises on his piggery in Waianae. A bout with cancer transformed the way Wong thinks about the...Continue reading
Visitors flock to the Hawaiian Islands for sun-soaked holidays filled with silky beaches, turquoise water, lush green hillsides — and naked palm trees missing their leafy crowns? That possibility has state officials worried because Hawaii’s iconic swaying palm trees are under attack. Their nemesis is the latest in a long line of invasive species...Continue reading
She’s baaack, and it’s not good news for science literacy, farmers and food-minded Hawaiians. I’m referring to Vandana Shiva, the Indian anti-GMO crusader who kicked off a five-day blitz through Hawaii with a talk-and-music fest at the Capitol Building on Wednesday. It’s a grand tour, marked by private fund-raising pitches to wealthy locals and...Continue reading
WAILUKU >> Coffee growers on Maui are bracing for a destructive beetle to eventually make its way to the island. The coffee berry borer has been wreaking havoc on the Big Island for years. The pest made its way to Oahu in December. “I’ve been a farmer forever, and I know the reality of...Continue reading
Hawaii has identified its first outbreak of a deadly pig virus that emerged in the continental United States last year, confounding officials who are uncertain how the disease arrived over thousands of miles of ocean. The state confirmed Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv) on a farm on Oahu, the most populous Hawaiian island, on...Continue reading
KAPAA — If you want a pumpkin, Kauai has them. Grows them, even. Plenty, too, despite the whacky weather. “People didn’t know we could grow pumpkins,” said Earl Kashiwagi, owner and operator of Esaki’s Produce. He delivered 4,500 pounds of pumpkins to the Kauai Fall Festival on Sunday and still has more. Harry Yamamoto,...Continue reading
Next Tuesday, voters statewide will face five constitutional amendments, two of which relate to agriculture. Get to know what these amendment questions mean before heading to the polls so you can choose either Yes or No, since a blank vote counts as a No. Here’s what you need to know about Amendment 2, which...Continue reading
The 23rd annual Pumpkin Patch Festival at Hawaii Preparatory Academy’s upper campus, sponsored by the school’s Ohana Association and Dr. Joan Greco, is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. This year, the family festival in Waimea will feature a pumpkin patch with locally grown pumpkins and a new $20 wristband for keiki. The...Continue reading
Ahh, October—time for pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin mochi and Hawai‘i-grown pumpkins. Aloun Farms, which celebrates its 10th year of educational tours this year, hosts an average of 15,000 students at its annual pumpkin patch. Event coordinator Michael Moefu says the student tours run Tuesdays through Fridays. “They learn a little bit more about agriculture,...Continue reading
It’s been one tough year to raise pumpkins on Kohala Mountain. The crop has been hit with the triple whammy of a mouse plague, cut worms and a tropical storm that stressed the plants so much they dropped their flowers. None of this has deterred the Kohala Mountain Farm Pumpkin Patch from opening for...Continue reading
SUGARCANE: The 2014 production of sugarcane in Hawaii is forecast at 1.43 million tons, up 2 percent from the previous year, but unchanged from the August forecast. Harvested acreage is estimated at 19.0 thousand acres, up 7 percent from last year. Yield is forecast at 75.0 tons per acre. The 2014 U.S. production of...Continue reading
A federal judge struck down a new law regulating the use of pesticides and growth of genetically modified organisms by large-scale commercial agricultural companies on Kauai. U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Kurren decided Ordinance 960 (formerly Bill 2491) is invalid and preempted by state law. The law was scheduled to go into effect Aug. 16...Continue reading
- Bank Of Hawaii Corp (NYSE:BOH): Negative Stock Sentiment at 1.06 - Z TribuneBank Of Hawaii Corp (NYSE:BOH): Negative Stock Sentiment at 1.06 Z Tribune“Big money sentiment for Bank Of Hawaii Corp (NYSE:BOH) in Q3 2018 decreased to 1.06, SEC filings reveal. So its down -0.10, from 2018Q2's 1.16.
- Plan targets little fire ants - The Guam Daily PostPlan targets little fire ants The Guam Daily PostLittle fire ants continue to spread on Guam, according to those who are at the forefront of research and intervention programs. To combat these ants, they ...
- Unemployment Drops Below 3% In Ten States - 24/7 Wall St.Unemployment Drops Below 3% In Ten States 24/7 Wall St.In December, the unemployment rate was 3.9% nationwide, according to new data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, in ten states, it was much lower ...
- Caribbean, Hawaiian pests detected in State : 20th jan19 - E-Pao.netCaribbean, Hawaiian pests detected in State : 20th jan19 E-Pao.netImphal, January 192019: As an impact of global warming, mosquitoes have become quite common in the State during winter season too and pests generally ...
- Women's March Returns to DC - DTN The Progressive FarmerWomen's March Returns to DC DTN The Progressive FarmerThe Women's March was returning to Washington on Saturday, bracing for inclement weather, coping with an ideological split and reconfiguring its route due to ...
- Shutdown day 28: standoff hits White House caretakers - West Hawaii TodayShutdown day 28: standoff hits White House caretakers West Hawaii TodayAn Air Force bus waits on the plaza of the Capitol on Thursday after President Donald Trump used his executive power to deny military aircraft to House Speaker ...
- Legislators Must Bypass State Agency With Hemp Plan - Honolulu Civil BeatLegislators Must Bypass State Agency With Hemp Plan Honolulu Civil BeatThe Hawaii Department of Agriculture is negligent for not acting on major developments in the industry.
- As shutdown drags on, food insecurity hits federal workers, and people chip in - including beer - Hawaii News NowAs shutdown drags on, food insecurity hits federal workers, and people chip in - including beer Hawaii News NowThe government shutdown is now in its fourth week, and with each missed paycheck, concern about food insecurity rises. People are even buying beers for ...
- US targets Huawei; Shutdown consequences; Bank warning - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV HonoluluUS targets Huawei; Shutdown consequences; Bank warning - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather KITV HonoluluBy Charles Riley, CNN Business 1. Huawei targeted: Chinese telecom giant Huawei is reportedly the subject of a US criminal investigation.
- Ige appoints new chiefs for 2 agencies - Hawaii Tribune HeraldIge appoints new chiefs for 2 agencies Hawaii Tribune HeraldGov. David Ige selected new leaders for the state Board of Agriculture and state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. At Agriculture ...
- County sues Puakea Ranch - West Hawaii TodayCounty sues Puakea Ranch West Hawaii TodayHILO — The county is suing a Hawi vacation rental ranch following more than two years of neighbor complaints over weddings, concerts and events being held ...
- LETTERS for the January 17 issue - LahainaNews.com | News, Information, Lahaina and Western Maui, Hawaii - Lahaina NewsLETTERS for the January 17 issue - LahainaNews.com | News, Information, Lahaina and Western Maui, Hawaii Lahaina NewsHelp end the government shutdown It is time for every citizen to get involved.
- Budget Hawk Sylvia Luke: ‘I Try To Know More Than Them’ - Honolulu Civil BeatBudget Hawk Sylvia Luke: ‘I Try To Know More Than Them’ Honolulu Civil BeatIt was hardly a warm and fuzzy welcome for Scott Kami, Gov. David Ige's acting budget director. State Rep. Sylvia Luke, chair of the House Finance Committee ...
- HDOA Agricultural Grant Workshop, Jan. 16 - Maui NowHDOA Agricultural Grant Workshop, Jan. 16 Maui NowThe Hawaiʻi Department of Agriculture is hosting a free Specialty Crop Block Grant Program workshop in Maui on Jan. 16. from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m..
- Animal Agriculture's Battle against Clean Water - The HumanistAnimal Agriculture's Battle against Clean Water The HumanistRecently the state health department of Hawaii issued a warning to residents to avoid the Kaohaoha Gulch near the town of Ookala. The reason? It contained ...
- Federal workers take on odd jobs to make ends meet - West Hawaii TodayFederal workers take on odd jobs to make ends meet West Hawaii TodayGeorge Jankowski, a furloughed U.S. Department of Agriculture worker, helps a friend move out of an apartment in Cheyenne, Wyo., Monday, Jan. 14, 2019.
- Washington bill proposes year-round Daylight Saving Time - KING5.comWashington bill proposes year-round Daylight Saving Time KING5.comThis is not the first time Washington senators have backed a bill to end daylight saving time.
- Buy Local: A Simple Phrase with Layers of Meaning - Hawaii Business MagazineBuy Local: A Simple Phrase with Layers of Meaning Hawaii Business MagazineThis story explores the power of local in business ownership, corporate leadership and consumer preferences. Attorney Jeff Watanabe, who has served on the ...
- Business roundup: 01-14-19 - West Hawaii TodayBusiness roundup: 01-14-19 West Hawaii TodayHead judge Beth Beall of Texas Coffee Traders, standing, and a panel of sensory judges listen attentively as Garcia expresses her passion for the Hawaii coffee ...
- Hemp harvest holdup - West Hawaii TodayHemp harvest holdup West Hawaii TodayHILO — Some Hawaii farmers permitted to grow hemp as part of a state research program will harvest their crops soon, but other farmers still have to wait.
- Deputy Attorney General (Commerce and Economic Development Division) - State of Hawaii Department of the Attorney General - Honolulu, HIThe Department of Agriculture (DOA); This Deputy Attorney General provides advice and counsel to the Department of Agriculture in matters....From State of Hawaii Department of the Attorney General - Sat, 19 Jan 2019 02:30:21 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - WAIMANALO HEALTH CENTER - Waimānalo, HIDepartment of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. We are a community health center located in majestic Waimanalo, where *our mission*....From Indeed - Fri, 18 Jan 2019 21:52:24 GMT - View all Waimānalo, HI jobs
- Customer Service Manager - Gate Group - Kahului, HIEnsures that Customs requirements, GGI Bonded policy and local Agriculture (compliance agreement) are implemented....From Indeed - Fri, 18 Jan 2019 20:59:00 GMT - View all Kahului, HI jobs
- Agriculture Laborer Opportunities - Kualoa Ranch Hawai'i - Kaneohe, HIDiversified Agriculture Laborer*. 1 year agriculture experience and knowledge of traditional Hawaiian taro farming systems preferred....From Indeed - Thu, 17 Jan 2019 19:10:13 GMT - View all Kaneohe, HI jobs
- Cleaning Agent - Swissport International Ltd. - Honolulu, HICorrect Handling of International Garbage as required by the Company, Carrier and the Department of Agriculture....From Swissport International Ltd. - Thu, 17 Jan 2019 07:01:15 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Managing Director - Hawaii Cattlemen's Council, Inc. - Honolulu, HITarget Start Date: March 1, 2019 The Hawaii Cattlemen’s Council (HCC), Hawaii Beef Industry Council (HBIC), and the Hawaii Rangeland Stewardship Foundation...From Indeed - Thu, 17 Jan 2019 02:39:29 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Personal Assistant - Care.com - Waialua, HII am a food and agriculture entrepreneur looking for an organized person to help me get organized at home and in my home office, streamline some of my daily...From Care.com - Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:46:07 GMT - View all Waialua, HI jobs
- Research Assistant - DuPont - Waimea, HIAgriculture, warehousing, production, manufacturing or related work experience. We are bringing together DuPont Crop Protection, DuPont Pioneer and Dow...From DuPont - Fri, 11 Jan 2019 02:56:55 GMT - View all Waimea, HI jobs
- Production Assistant - Cure Oahu - Haleiwa, HISuccessful candidates will possess a passion for horticulture, plant biology, and various forms of agriculture.... $14 an hourFrom Indeed - Thu, 10 Jan 2019 02:48:40 GMT - View all Haleiwa, HI jobs
- Operations Lead - Parent Seed - Hartung Brothers, Inc - Wahiawā, HIHartung Brothers offers agriculture contracts for vegetables and seed corn to both farmers and processors. Hartung Brothers Incorporated is a family owned and...From Hartung Brothers, Inc - Tue, 08 Jan 2019 11:16:57 GMT - View all Wahiawā, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor of Nutrition Biochemistry - Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, Univeristy of Hawaii at Manoa - Honolulu, HIUniversity of Hawai'i at Manoa - College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources. C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition, Food and...From Indeed - Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:41:33 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Cafeteria Helper - Hawaii State Department of Education - Kauai, HIAchieves the annual minimum required training hours as outlined by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). $3,348.00 per month (BC-02).... $3,348 a monthFrom Hawaii State Department of Education - Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:02:12 GMT - View all Kauai, HI jobs