A group of mining companies, seed producers and chemical makers increased 1 percent as raw-material prices jumped. Gold advanced to a six-month high, reaching $999.50 an ounce, while copper rose for a second day. The Reuters/Jefferies CRB Index of 19 commodities climbed 0.2 percent.
Business Update on Hawaii’s Agriculture
Written by Sunrise on KGMB9 – email@example.com
August 27, 2009 07:02 AM
Balance reporting on Hawaii’s recession requires reports on industries that are still growing in these times. That includes the business of growing seed for mainland farmers.
Mark Phillipson is the new GM for the Hawaii operations of Syngenta. He joined KGMB9’s Howard Dicus Thursday morning.[flv image=”http://hawaii-agriculture.com/newblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2009_08_27_Syngenta_flv.JPG”]http://hawaii-agriculture.com/newblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2009_08_27_Syngenta_flv.flv[/flv]
Posted on: Saturday, July 11, 2009
Value of state’s biggest farming sector hits record $146 million, study finds
By Andrew Gomes
Advertiser Staff Writer
Hawai’i’s fast-growing seed crop industry forecasts spending $276 million over the next 10 years, up from $164 million in the past 10 years, suggesting the state’s biggest farming sector expects continued expansion.
The forecast for capital expenditures was included in a new study commissioned by the Hawai’i Farm Bureau Federation and paid for by the Hawaii Crop Improvement Association, a trade group representing seed companies.
©COPYRIGHT 2009 The Honolulu Advertiser. All rights reserved.
How Prepared is Your Farming Operation?
Maui Extension Office
Monday, November 26, 2007
11 am ? 1:30 pm
Natural disasters, such as droughts, floods, wild fires, hurricanes, pests, and diseases, can cause excessive economic damage to agricultural production. In addition to crop damage, disasters can also affect farm buildings, machinery, animals, irrigation, family members and employees. Disasters along with marketing difficulties can lead to serious downturns in your farm income.
How prepared are you? This workshop is designed to provide you with information on:
1) preparing your operation for a natural disaster and
2) available and affordable crop insurance programs that minimize risk associated with economic losses.
Note: Now that the “Adjusted Gross Revenue” (AGR) insurance is available for 2008, in effect all Hawaii crops can be insured to some degree ? not just bananas, coffee, papayas, macnuts & nursery.
? USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) administers and oversees farm commodity, credit, conservation, disaster and loan programs. These programs are designed to improve the economic stability of the agricultural industry and to help farmers adjust production to meet demand.
? USDA Risk Management Agency Western Regional Office, Davis. USDA RMA helps producers manage their business risks through effective, market-based risk management solutions.
? John Nelson from the Western Center for Risk Management Education (Washington State University) on the new Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) Insurance.
? Dr. Mike Fanning, Executive Vice President, AgriLogic, is a specialist in Agri-Terroism, crop insurance, farm policy analysis, and individual farm risk management.
? Dr. Kent Fleming, an agricultural economist with the University of Hawaii’s College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR), is an Extension Farm Management Specialist with a focus on risk management education.
The workshop is FREE and lunch (sandwiches or bentos and drinks) will be provided. For more information, visit the website http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/agrisk/ You may also contact Kent Fleming @ 989-3416 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Jan McEwen @ 244-3242 or email@example.com
Please call the Maui Extension Office at 244-3242 by November 21, 2007 to register for this seminar.
Here is the PDF file for the Hawaii Seed Crops report.
Please visit the website for more information: http://www.nass.usda.gov/hi/
Mark E. Hudson, Director
USDA NASS Hawaii Field Office
1421 South King Street
Honolulu, HI 96814-2512
Office: (808) 973-9588 / (800) 804-9514
Fax: (808) 973-2909
The Hawaii Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service estimates the value of Hawaii=s seed industry at a record high $97.6 million for the 2006/07 season. This preliminary estimate represents a 26-percent increase from 2005/06?s revised estimate of $77.3 million. Seed corn is expected to account for $94.0 million, or 96 percent, of the total value in 2006/07. A variety of other seed crops will account for the remaining 4 percent. Outshipments of seed are anticipated to total a record high 9.0 million pounds during the 2006/07 season, up 19 percent from the 7.6 million pounds shipped during the 2005/06 season. Acreage harvested for all seed crops is expected to total a record high 4,820 acres during the 2006/07 season, up 16 percent from the 2005/06 season.