Monday, March 17 marked the beginning of the Hawaii Crop Improvement Association (HCIA)/Hawaii Chamber “Biotech Week” in Honolulu. Well-attended by employees of the seed companies and many farmers at the state capital and elected officials, the event reminded everyone of the importance of biotechnology in the agricultural community of Hawaii. During my time there,...Continue reading
USDA Encourages Early Registration for FSA Programs WASHINGTON, March 21, 2014 — The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) Administrator Juan M. Garcia today recommended that farmers and ranchers who plan to participate in FSA programs register in advance. Producers are encouraged to report farm records and business structure changes to...Continue reading
A Maui coffee farmer said controlling invasive species such as the notorious coqui frog and fire ant is a Big Island problem. “They already have them, we don’t. Why put the cost on us?” asked Bobbie Becker, owner of Maui Mountain Coffee Farm. “They’ve got it there.” Becker is a supporter of state Senate...Continue reading
A Maui coffee farmer said controlling invasive species such as the coqui frog and fire ant is a Big Island problem. “They already have them, we don’t. Why put the cost on us?” asked Bobbie Becker, owner of Maui Mountain Coffee Farm. “They’ve got it there.” Becker is a supporter of state Senate Bill...Continue reading
Each week, we will answer a question from our readers regarding our operations and community outreach in the State of Hawaii. Submit your question by visiting the contact page. Thanks for reading. Mahalo! Q: I’ve heard that Monsanto Hawaii wants to put smaller farmers out of business. Is this true? This is absolutely not...Continue reading
Calls have been coming in from PNG and Solomon Islands, wanting to send participants to attend the upcoming South Pacific Nut (SPN)nangae and natapoa nut training workshop from August to November, after alerted through the Daily Post website issue of 8th March, 2014. But it is exclusive targeting Ni Vanuatu potential nut farmers. The...Continue reading
Howard Green thought he was helping farmers, like himself, sell more of their products directly to customers. Instead, the bill he offered to lawmakers has raised concerns the state Legislature may again be trying to undermine county regulations on genetically modified crops and pesticides for the second time this session. The legislation Green, an...Continue reading
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) will spend the next several months gathering information for the 2014 Commercial Floriculture and Nursery Survey. NASS will collect data on production area, sales of floriculture and nursery products, and the number of agricultural workers from producers in Hawaii, California and other major floriculture...Continue reading
LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) — The Kauai County Council has authorized spending $75,000 to hire attorneys to defend a new law regulating the use of pesticides and genetically modified crops by large agricultural businesses. The 5-0 council vote, taken Wednesday with two members absent, will allow the county attorney to hire outside legal services to...Continue reading
A bill in the state House would provide $500,000 toward destroying little fire ants. Of all the ants in all the world, Hawaii had to get bitten by this one. Hawaii lawmakers on Monday advanced a bill aiming to study and kill the little fire ant, a hard-stinging pipsqueak that threatens the state’s economy...Continue reading
LAKE EPPALOCK farmer Darren Doherty has been commended by the Hawaiian Government for his leadership in ecological agriculture systems around the world. Regenerative agriculture I would describe as ‘beyond sustainable’ agriculture. – Darren Doherty Mr Doherty, who runs a global “regenerative agriculture” business with wife Lisa Heenan, was recognised by the Hawaiian Senate after...Continue reading
The GMO debate is considered one of the most controversial and confusing issues facing our state. Supporters say the technology behind genetically modified organisms is feeding the world at a time when the population keeps exploding and space to farm is getting scarcer. Opponents say it poses health and environmental risks – the full...Continue reading
Tuesday’s edition of the Federal Register contains new regulations that would ban new strands of bath salts, allow Filipino bananas in Hawaii, and a handful of rules for executives in the housing industry. Here’s what is happening: Bananas: The U.S. Department of Agriculture is considering changes to a rule that would allow Filipino bananas...Continue reading
SEATTLE — A Washington state ballot measure requiring mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods has been rejected. The campaign over Initiative 522 has been one of the costliest initiative fights in state history, drawing millions of dollars from out of state. The measure was failing 46 percent to 54 percent after more ballots were...Continue reading
Of course glyphosate is toxic! It is a herbicide after all – the whole point of glyphosate (G for short in this post) is to kill unwanted plants. Like all chemicals, including water and salt, G is going to be toxic to animals (including humans) at some dose. Compared to other herbicides, though, G...Continue reading
- The ocean holds wonders, yet we’re destroying it - Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)The ocean holds wonders, yet we’re destroying it Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)It's been said that everything that is to be seen has already been seen. But as far as our planet's oceans are concerned, nothing could be further from the truth.
- Snakes on a plane: Board of Agriculture approves import of two non-native species - West Hawaii TodaySnakes on a plane: Board of Agriculture approves import of two non-native species West Hawaii TodayKAILUA-KONA — In an effort to ensure brown tree snakes never establish themselves in Hawaii, the state Department of Agriculture is taking what appears an ...
- USDA Funding Water and Wastewater Infrastructure Projects - EP MagazineUSDA Funding Water and Wastewater Infrastructure Projects EP MagazineUSDA is providing financing for 234 water and environmental infrastructure projects through the Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant program -- funding ...
- Former Ag Secretary Bob Bergland dies at 90 - Hawaii News NowFormer Ag Secretary Bob Bergland dies at 90 Hawaii News NowFormer U.S. Agriculture Secretary Bob Bergland has died in Minnesota.
- Beef vendor sought for Oahu, Hawaii Island schools - Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)Beef vendor sought for Oahu, Hawaii Island schools Hawaii Tribune-Herald (subscription)Rizzalen Bedar, Mary Hawley and Drake Neff serve lunch Thursday at Kahakai Elementary School. (Laura Ruminski/West Hawaii Today). Lunch is served ...
- Macadamia flourishes in Hawaii, but not native - West Hawaii TodayMacadamia flourishes in Hawaii, but not native West Hawaii TodaySome folks on the mainland think macadamia nut trees are native to Hawaii, but here we know it is an Australian tree that we adopted as our own. We use the ...
- Vendor sought for ground, stew beef for Oahu, Hawaii Island schools - West Hawaii TodayVendor sought for ground, stew beef for Oahu, Hawaii Island schools West Hawaii TodayKAILUA-KONA — Looking for beef? So is the Department of Education. The state agency's School Food Services Branch is on the hunt for a vendor to provide ...
- AP Interview: New Zealand minister says emissions to rise - Hawaii News NowAP Interview: New Zealand minister says emissions to rise Hawaii News NowNew Zealand has set itself apart from neighboring Australia by declaring climate change a top priority. But despite some lofty goals, greenhouse gas emissions ...
- This map shows where in the US cyber crime costs people the most - CNBCThis map shows where in the US cyber crime costs people the most CNBCCyber crimes stemming from hacks like last week's Marriott data breach are on the rise. Last year, losses from reported cyber crimes topped $1.2 billion.
- 2018 Black Book: 364 Executives to Know - Hawaii Business Magazine2018 Black Book: 364 Executives to Know Hawaii Business MagazineWelcome to the 21st annual Black Book from Hawaii Business magazine – a valuable insight into who are the decision makers, movers and shakers of the ...
- Mānoa: Ambrosia beetles linked to Rapid ʻŌhiʻa Death - UHM NewsMānoa: Ambrosia beetles linked to Rapid ʻŌhiʻa Death UHM NewsResearchers at the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR) at the University of Hawaiʻ`i at Mānoa have published the first study to ...
- Key congressman optimistic about passing farm bill soon - Hawaii News NowKey congressman optimistic about passing farm bill soon Hawaii News NowA key congressional voice on agriculture says he's optimistic that lawmakers can pass a new farm bill next week.
- 12 million pounds of beef recalled due to salmonella outbreak, 4 affected in Hawaii - KITV Honolulu12 million pounds of beef recalled due to salmonella outbreak, 4 affected in Hawaii KITV HonoluluThe product is linked to nearly 246 cases of salmonella in 26 states.
- Beef recall expands to 12M pounds after more than 200 get sick - Honolulu Star-AdvertiserBeef recall expands to 12M pounds after more than 200 get sick Honolulu Star-AdvertiserNEW YORK >> An Arizona company is expanding the scope of its recall of raw beef that could be contaminated with salmonella, federal officials said today.
- Hawaii Island State Representatives Get Committee Assignments - Big Island Video NewsHawaii Island State Representatives Get Committee Assignments Big Island Video NewsHAWAII - The Big Island will have representation on several important House Committees during the coming legislative session. (BIVN) – The seven State ...
- Hawai'i Receives Over $15 M in Water & Wastewater Infrastructure - Big Island NowHawai'i Receives Over $15 M in Water & Wastewater Infrastructure Big Island NowThe USDA is investing $1.2 billion to help rebuild and improve rural water infrastructure for 936000 rural Americans living in 46 states.
- Hawaii Rapid Ohia Tree-Killing Disease Spreads on Kauai - U.S. News & World ReportHawaii Rapid Ohia Tree-Killing Disease Spreads on Kauai U.S. News & World ReportLIHUE, Hawaii (AP) — A fungal pathogen that kills trees native to Hawaii has been discovered in two more areas on Kauai.
- Harvey Tagalicud, Hawaii: “Being in FFA teaches me skills to prepare me for any job I may want one day, even if it's not agriculture related. I am being taught a wide range of skills through being an FFA member.” - Agri NewsHarvey Tagalicud, Hawaii: “Being in FFA teaches me skills to prepare me for any job I may want one day, even if it's not agriculture related. I am being taught a wide range of skills through being an FFA member.” Agri NewsClick here to view this image from agrinews-pubs.com.
- 2018 AIA Design Awards [Sponsored] - Hawaii Business Magazine2018 AIA Design Awards [Sponsored] Hawaii Business MagazineAwards of Merit People's Choice Award Mayor's Choice Award Sustainable Design Award Student Design Awards. This year, AIA Honolulu celebrates the 60th ...
- What the US-China truce means for business - KITV HonoluluWhat the US-China truce means for business KITV HonoluluBy Matt Egan. The truce between the United States and China means that Corporate America has dodged a massive bullet -- for now at least. Executives are ...
- Water Service Technician - Seymour Resources Hawaii - Kauai, HIIn this position one will be introduced to new field related technologies and types of agriculture. The position of a Water System Technician is a leadership... $18 - $21 an hourFrom Seymour Resources Hawaii - Fri, 07 Dec 2018 06:08:45 GMT - View all Kauai, HI jobs
- Urban Agriculture Assistant - Full Time - The Institute For Human Resources - Honolulu, HIAssociate or Bachelors in agriculture and/or two years of agricultural farming Aquaculture/Aquaponics/Hydroponics experience....From The Institute For Human Resources - Tue, 04 Dec 2018 04:37:21 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Urban Agricultural Specialist Assistant - The Institute for Human Services - Honolulu, HIAssociate or Bachelors in agriculture and/or two years of agricultural farming Aquaculture/Aquaponics/Hydroponics experience.... $17 an hourFrom Indeed - Tue, 04 Dec 2018 01:51:37 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Institutional Support (Admin & Fiscal Support Sp) - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition Food and Animal Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin approximately January 2019 or soon thereafter, renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Duties and Responsibilities...From University of Hawaii - Fri, 30 Nov 2018 21:50:19 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Junior Researcher - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Plant and Environmental Protection Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin approximately January 2019 or soon thereafter, renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Duties and Responsibilities...From University of Hawaii - Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:50:22 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Production Manager (191442-5) - ALTRES - Kunia, HIBachelor's degree in agriculture, manufacturing, or other related fields. Do you have strong leadership and management skills?...From Indeed - Wed, 28 Nov 2018 01:26:09 GMT - View all Kunia, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences UH Manoa - Honolulu, HITo begin August 1, 2019. To ensure full consideration, applications should be submitted by January 15, 2019. Duties and Responsibilities Teach undergraduate...From University of Hawaii - Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:50:22 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Lecturer CC, Sustainable Agriculture - Windward Community College - Honolulu, HI(a) Master’s in agriculture, botany, tropical plant and soil sciences, biological engineering, molecular biosciences and bioengineering, natural resources,...From University of Hawaii - Thu, 22 Nov 2018 03:50:26 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Assistant Professor of Applied Economics for Healthy Ecosystems - C of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Natural Resources and Environmental Management UH Manoa - Honolulu, HIStrong interest in agriculture, natural resource and environmental management issues in Hawaii and the Pacific Region....From University of Hawaii - Wed, 21 Nov 2018 03:50:40 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs
- Farm Manager - Kalona Brand Company LLC - Haleiwa, HIWork history in the agriculture industry and general mechanical and automotive skills. Farm Manager (FM) is responsible for creating asset value through the...From Indeed - Wed, 21 Nov 2018 02:51:54 GMT - View all Haleiwa, HI jobs
- PARK GROUNDS IMPROVEMENT SUPERVISOR II (... - City and County of Honolulu, HI - Oahu Island, HIEquivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in agriculture, horticulture or a related field.... $4,968 a monthFrom City and County of Honolulu, HI - Sat, 17 Nov 2018 07:47:51 GMT - View all Oahu Island, HI jobs
- Accounting Manager - Elemental Excelerator - Honolulu, HIEnergy, water, agriculture, transportation, and beyond. About Elemental Excelerator*....From Indeed - Fri, 16 Nov 2018 02:27:55 GMT - View all Honolulu, HI jobs