We all love chocolates, in all kinds and flavours. They’re there to comfort you when you’re sad, to satisfy your sweet tooth, to show the one you love how much you miss them and to give you a pat on the back when you truly deserve it. No matter how much we love chocolate, we still take it for granted, MSN News reports. We uncover it and start eating it so fast that we don’t sit and indulge the magical taste.
1. White chocolate isn’t really chocolate. Being made of butter and milk, it does not contain any chocolate liquor and so Under Federal Standards of Identity, “white chocolate” is just a misnomer.
2. The reason why chocolate literally melts in your mouth, is because the melting point of cocoa butter is just below the human body temperature.
3. Hawaii is the only US state that grows cacao beans to produce chocolate. Whereas American chocolate manufacturers use on average 1.5 billion pounds of milk, which is only exceeded by cheese and icecream.
4. Chocolate scientifically makes you happy. It contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a natural substance that is known to stimulate serotonin release (the happy hormone) acting as a natural anti-depressant.
5. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which suppresses coughing activity.
6. On average, a chocolate bar in the US contains eight insect pieces. “The Food Defect Action Levels”, a book published by the US Department of Health, lists unavoidable food defects allowed by FDA – like bug parts. That means that your chocolate may contain traces of nuts, and bugs.
7. First chocolate factory in the US established in 1765 was called the Walter Baker Company where their first product was a cake of chocolate.
8. Dark chocolate has the highest level of anti-oxidants (four times more than those found in tea). Antioxidants neutralise free radicals that can cause cell damage.
9. The Swiss eat the most chocolate where the average person eats 19lbs a year.
10. Chocolate has least caffeine when compared to tea, cola or coffee. 1 oz bar contains about 6mg of caffeine, whereas a 5oz ounce cup of regular coffee contains over 40mg.
And as Forest Gump used to say “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.” daily times monitor