The public will have a final opportunity in late October and November to provide input into the 2009 County of Hawaii Agricultural Development Plan, being prepared for the Department of Research and Development by Agricon Hawaii LLC and The Kohala Center.
The Kohala Center is conducting islandwide listening sessions prior to finalizing the plan, which is intended to guide the revitalization of agriculture as a basis for the island’s economic development by focusing on measures designed to increase the production of food for local consumption and support the growth of export products.
The preliminary draft of the plan will be available for review by Oct. 10 at kohalacenter.org/agplan.html.
After the fall round of public sessions, The Kohala Center will incorporate public input and present the final draft to the county Department of Research and Development in early December.
In addition to attending a listening session, the public can provide suggestions and comments to Guy Kaulukukui, director of The Kohala Center’s Food Self-Reliance Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 887-6411.
The sessions are 6-8 p.m. at the following dates and locations:
* Tuesday, Oct. 20, Kohala High School Cafeteria
* Wednesday, Oct. 21, Kona Outdoor Circle
* Thursday, Oct. 22, Waimea Community Center
* Tuesday, Oct. 27, Pahala Community Center
* Wednesday, Oct. 28, Aupuni Conference Room, Hilo
* Thursday, Oct. 29, Paauilo School Cafeteria
* Wednesday, Nov. 4, Pahoa Community Center